Friday, April 13, 2007

Wonderful day of Trout Fishing on the Little Red River

I have discovered a new passion. Trout Fishing! Just one more to add to my great list of "hobbies". My good buddy Brumfield took me out this afternoon and introduced me to the sport. This was my first time to go "real" fishing, (dad said he took me when I was a kid, but I dont remember. I am gonna have to see some pictures to prove that.) I had always heard fishing took great patience and since everyone knows that word is not in my vocabulary, it seemed pointless. Although I was greatly surprised. We ended up doing really good, between the two of us we came home with 8 fish (7 rainbow trout & one pike). Seems like I had a little bit of beginners luck.

We were fishing on the Little Red River. They say it is one of the best kept trout fishing secrets in the South. The River is runoff from Greers Ferry Lake in Heber Springs. Just a few years ago the world record was caught on the Little Red (40 pound-4 ounce Trout). I thought it was pretty cool that I was fishing in the same spot that fish was taken. The water was really cold about mid 40's. Not as cold as the Lake in Montana, but still pretty cold. I think Audria and Trish still have goosebumps. It only took us two hours to catch our limit. Lot more action than I was expecting. Hopefully I can make some time for more fishing this weekend. Hope all is well.

(Me with my first catch of the day)



Some pretty good looking Trout.

6 comments:

Carl and Trisha said...

Yeah we had a good dinner. Still wasnt as good as Georgetown's catfish though.

Anonymous said...

So how many hobbies do you have now? Or is there too many to count. Sounds like fun the only fishing I have ever done was in my parents creek that ran next to the property. On that occasion all we had to do was stick a bucket in front of them while they tried to to swim up the drop off. It was really easy because they just swam right into the bucket. Sounds likes your way take more skill and time.

Steve and Joan said...

You might want to catch a bunch more just before you come back to Texas, then you could have a big open house and fish fry at your house! Hint, Hint!

Steve

Anonymous said...

Great looking fish! Saw the 4-wheeler video and loved it. The "manly" music should guarantee an "A" on your presentation!! Glad to see you are learning so much at Harding.

P.S. Dad really did take you fishing several times but you weren't very impressed with it at the time!!

Anonymous said...

We need to see some pictures of Maddie.

Staci said...

Yummmmm!